In the coming editions of Popular Places, we will indulge you in the different tastes of Surinamese food. The Surinamese cuisine offers a wide variety of dishes, just as one would expect from such ethnic diversity. The food is either Chinese, Creole, European, Indian, Indonesian or a fusion thereof. We selected two recipes from the most popular cook book of Suriname: Muriel’s Groot Surinaams Kookboek.
- 500 gram coconut (grated)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon yellow food colouring (optional)
- Dry the grated coconut on a baking try in the middle of a warm oven (200°C/gas mark 4) for 15 minutes.
- Mix the grated coconut, egg yolks, almond essence, sugar, grated lemon zest and the yellow food colouring together into a dough.
- Take a tablespoon and knead until firm.
- Mix the sprinkles and one tablespoon sugar together and press one side of the firmly shaped coconut in it.
- Butter a baking tray and use flour to prevent sticking. Place the macrons with the sugared side up on the baking tray. Repeat till the dough has run out.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven and bake the macrons for appr. 45 minutes (200°C/gas 4).
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons curry masala powder
- 1 kg chicken pieces
- black pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 fresh green chili (chopped)
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 2 or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 sprig of celery leaves
- Toast the cumin seeds in a pan, until brown. Remove from heat and finely pound the cumin seeds and mix with the curry masala powder.
- Wash the chicken pieces with vinegar and plenty of water. Rinse and dry with kitchen paper.
Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic, curry masala powder and chili pepper. Fry until softened.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix it all together.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Add the potato chunks, onion and tomatoes into the chicken and cover. Let it simmer on medium heat.
- After 10 minutes add half a glass of water, the bouillon cubes and chopped celery leaves.
Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Keep adding water if necessary.